Dining Room aboard all first class Grace Line ships in the 1930s featuring “dining under the stars”!
Dining under the stars was featured on Grace Line ships from East and West Coast ports to the Caribbean and South America via the Panama Canal during the 1930s until the cruise liners were replaced in the 1950s.
The dining room on each of four sister ships were located on upper decks (bad in rough weather) and featured wide casement windows, which opened onto the promenade decks.
The dining room ceilings rolled back so passengers could dine under the stars. The night sky and the ship’s funnel can be seen in the above photo from a late 1930s advertisement.
Classical elegance is the keynote here, while the painting of a sailing vessel adds a discreet maritime touch.
SS SANTA ROSA in Los Angeles Harbor, California – 1936.
The SS Santa Rosa was one of four sister ships — the Santa Rosa Class — featuring “dining under the stars” aboard Grace Line cruises to the Caribbean, South America and Mexico via the Panama Canal.
1928 Grace Line advertisement – $250 and up First Class – 18 Days to Peru – appearing in Travel Magazine
These “Santa” ships had some general resemblance to Matson Line’s MALOLO, with her great beam and low stern. Their original gross tonnage of 11,200 was later reduced to 9,100 by the cutting of tonnage openings in # 6 shelter deck. Subsequently their tonnage was again changed, all of which reduced tonnage dues and Panama Canal tolls. Their overall length was 508 ft. and beam 72 ft. Their power plants were at the time second to none in efficiency. Each of the water tube steam generators with a pressure of 430 lbs. produced 6000 hp. and each ship could make 18-1/2 knots with only three boilers active. The main engines were double reduction turbines. The screws turned inward, and for this reason were very awkward to maneuver.
The passenger capacity of the SANTA ROSA class was 209 in first class and about 50 in steerage. Their public rooms were all on the promenade deck, with the dining salon extending two and a half decks in height to a roll back dome. The after dining room bulkhead was adorned with a large oil painting of a Grace clipper. Each cabin, whether single or double was equipped with private bath.
Grace Line (W. R. Grace & Co.), New York 1882-1969
W. R. Grace and Co. was founded in Peru in the mid-19th century by the Irish-born Grace brothers, William Russel and Michael, to engage in the guano trade.
The Grace brothers prospered, especially in the exporting of guano from the Chincha Islands to the United States, where this fertilizer as in considerable demand using sailing ships.
1928 Grace Line advertisement appearing in Travel Magazine
In 1865, leaving Michael in charge of their interests in Callao, William established the firm of W.R. Grace & Co., in New York. By 1880 he had become a leading citizen and was twice elected Mayor of New York, despite opposition from Tammany. In the 1880′s the company entered the steamship business with a line of freighters running from New York to the South American west coast via the Strait of Magellan flying the British flag. What later became the Grace Line originated in 1882 as a line of sailing vessels between Peru and New York.
Grace’s original British-flag ships had black hulls, white painted masts and booms, and a green stack with a black top. After the First World War successors were painted grey, with masts and booms of the usual mast color. Hulls became black again in 1928 and masts and booms reverted to white in 1932. (about 1959-60 Grace passenger ships again turned to grey hulls). [Read more...]