Edwin writes: “Killing a little while on this tub…” on this postcard… postmarked 1919
The “tub” – S.S. Jefferson – Photo side of postcard.
Alaska Steamship’s SS Jefferson at salmon cannery dock, Port Nellie Juan.
The SS Jefferson was built in 1904 and scrapped in 1925.
History: Alaska Steamship Company, Seattle, 1895-1971
Regular monthly boat service from U.S. ports to Alaska began in 1867 following the purchase of Alaska from Russia. Occupation troops were dispatched and cargo and mail soon followed. By 1875 several ship lines were making the voyage up the Panhandle in spite of often inhospitable waters and a treacherous coastline. The first tourists began booking passage as reports of unparalleled scenery were increasingly publicized.
On August 3, 1894, Charles Peabody, Capt. George Roberts, Capt. Melville Nichols, George Lent, Frank E. Burns and Walter Oakes formed the Alaska Steamship Company which would eventually enjoy a near monopoly of freight and passenger service to Alaska.. This group of six men began gathering $30,000 by selling 300 shares of stock, at $100 each. Charles Peabody was named president of the company.
On Jan. 21, 1895, the Alaska Steamship Company was finalized. The first vessel purchased was the 140-foot steamer WILLAPA.